get the pet in the net
Recognize words that rhyme with pet (e.g., "Do pet and net rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with pet.").
- Pet stuffed animals
- Blue paper, towel, or sheet
- Sentence frame
- Picture cards
The children will catch pets in a net as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with pet, such as net, wet, get, and set.
Get pets in a net
- Set up an area of the room with a net and the blue paper, towel, or sheet underneath.
- Before you begin, ask the children, “Will you get your pet into the net, or will it get wet?”
- Display the sentence frame and read it to the children.
- Have each child take a turn to throw their pet stuffed animal into the net.
- Ask the children the follow-up question, “Did you get your pet in the net, or did it get wet?”
- Repeat several times.
Recognize and produce rhyming words
- Place the phrase slips on the board, and hand out picture cards so that each child has a card.
- Read the words on the picture cards, having each child repeat it back.
- Read each phrase out loud, having the child with the appropriate word card raise the card each time his or her word is said.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with pet.
- Pet picture card
- Net (towel or plastic bag)
- Large bowl with water
- Plastic sandwich bags (optional)
Activity: Pet in the Net
- Place the pet picture inside of a plastic bag to protect it from getting wet (optional).
- Stand opposite your child on either side of the large bowl of water, and have your child try to toss the pet picture into a net that you’re holding, telling them to try not to get their pet wet as they toss the pet into the net.
- Say, “The pet is in the net!” or, “The pet got wet!” depending on where it landed when it was tossed.
- Repeat as many times as desired.
- Chant together the phrase, “The pet is in the net,” clapping for each word that rhymes with pet.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Get the Pet in the Net