Pick Up Sticks
Recognize words that rhyme with stick (e.g., "Do stick and chick rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with stick.").
- Popsicle sticks
- Picture cards
- Basket or box
The children will pick up sticks as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with stick, such as pick, chick, quick, and lick.
Pick up chicks with sticks
- Scatter the picture cards on the floor, and give each child two Popsicle sticks.
- Invite the children to try to pick up as many stick and chick picture cards as they can using two Popsicle sticks.
- Set a timer for one minute, and have the children race to pick up all the chick and stick picture cards before the time runs out.
- As each stick or chick picture card is picked up, have the children say which items they picked up and then put them safely in a basket (e.g., “I picked up a chick with two sticks.”).
- Emphasize the use of words that rhyme with stick during the activity and encourage the children to use rhyming words as well.
Recognize rhyming words
- Say two words: sometimes, say two words that rhyme with stick, and other times, say two words that do not (e.g., pick and lick, or pick and snow).
- Have the children hold up their Popsicle sticks if the two words rhyme, but have them keep the sticks in their laps if the words don’t rhyme.
- Repeat as many times as desired.
Produce rhyming words
- With the children, create a chant about the Pick-up Sticks activity (e.g., Pick a stick! Pick a chick! or Chick and stick! Chick and stick!).
- March around the room while saying the pick-up sticks chant.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with stick.
- Chick graphics
Activity: Pick-up Sticks
- With your child, find several “sticks” (can be straws, the handles of spoons, sticks found outside, etc.).
- Save two sticks for yourself and give two to your child, and spread the rest of the sticks on the floor with the chick graphics.
- Race with your child to pick up as many chicks as you can using your two sticks, and put the chicks in a designated spot or box within a minute.
- While playing, have your child say the name of each item as it is picked up.
- Review words that rhyme with stick and help your child think of as many rhyming words as possible.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Pick Up Sticks