ride the slide
Recognize words that rhyme with slide (e.g., "Do slide and ride rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with slide.")
- Long sheet of butcher paper or fabric
- Small objects or toys
- A slide on a playground (optional)
The children will pretend to ride down a slide as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with slide, such as glide, ride, hide, and side.
- Clear a space in the center of the room, or go to a park with a slide.
- If you are in the room, spread the butcher paper or fabric out and have all the children stand on either side of it, holding the edges.
- Have the children tilt the butcher paper to make a slide, with the children on one end holding the paper low and the children on the opposite end holding it up high.
- Give the children various objects and have them take turns either holding the edges of the slide or sliding objects down the slide (real or paper).
- Two children may slide their objects at the same time to see which object slides the fastest.
- Have the children chant, “Ride the slide! Ride the slide!” as each object goes down the slide.
- After all the students have had a turn, give them instructions of various actions they can do with the slide:
- Tilt the slide to one side.
- Make the slide skinny and then wide (come close together then spread back out).
- Hide under the slide.
Recognize rhyming words
- Choose a child to select a picture card from a bag or box.
- Explain to the class that the child will be acting out a word that rhymes with slide, while the rest of the class will have to guess the word.
- Repeat the activity until all the children get a chance to participate.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with slide.
- A long piece of fabric or piece of cardboard
- Favorite objects or toys
Activity: Ride the Slide
- With your child, gather several favorite toys or objects.
- Tilt the fabric or cardboard to create a slide.
- Together with your child, slide the toys or objects down the slide, focusing on using words that rhyme with slide (e.g., ride, side, wide, hide, glide) and encourage your child to use the words as well.
- Chant together, “Ride the slide! Ride the slide!” while sending the toys and objects down the slide.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Ride the Slide