A Pig Likes Her Wig
- Toy pig or pig graphic
- Wig or wig graphic
- Music (optional)
The children will put a wig on a pig as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with pig, such as wig and jig.
- Have the children sit quietly, facing you.
- Choose one child to hold the pig, and another child to hold the wig.
- Do the activity below and repeat as many times as desired.
Show me a pig.
|Have the child with the pig hold it up.|
|Show me a wig.||Have the child with the wig hold it up.|
|This is a wig for a pig. A pig's wig.||Have the children hold up the pig and wig together.|
|Put the wig on the pig.||Have the children work together to put the wig on the pig.|
|The pig likes her wig.||Have all the children show what they do when they like something (e.g., cheer, smile).|
|Now the pig is ready for a jig. The pig in a wig does a jig.||Have the children take turns moving the pig in a wig so she looks like she is dancing.|
|Do a jig with the pig in a wig.||Have all the children get up and dance with the pig in a wig. Play music (optional).|
- Help the children make a list of words that rhyme with pig, and write them on the board.
- Help the children create a sentence about the pig in a wig using the rhyming words from your list (e.g., “The big pig in a wig likes to dig.”).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with pig.
- Pig and wig pictures
Activity: A Pig Likes Her Wig
- Show your child the pig and the wig, telling him or her that the pig likes wearing her wig.
- Invite your child to put the wig on the pig.
- Together, make a list of things that rhyme with wig that the pig in a wig would like to do, such as, “The pig in a wig likes to ___ (e.g., dig, jig, do something big).”
- Come up with actions for each -ig word on your list.
- Take turns making the pig in a wig do the action while the other person does the action on his or her own.
- While doing the actions, say together, “___ig, ___ig, ___ig with the pig in a wig.”
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
A Pig Likes Her Wig