make an ig wig
Recognize words that rhyme with pig (e.g., "Do pig and wig rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with pig.").
- A pig wig
- Pig wig instructions
- Colorful strips of paper
The children will make an -ig wig as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with pig, such as big, wig, dig, and jig.
- Complete the first two steps of the pig wig instructions for each child.
- As a class, make a list of words that rhyme with pig other than wig (e.g., big, dig, fig, jig, rig), and write them on the board.
- Show the children the pig wig and tell them that it is not complete until it has a word that rhymes with pig on it.
- Referring to the list you made, ask the children what to write, saying, “Which rhyming word belongs on the pig wig?”
- Have the children respond by saying, “Big ___ belongs on the pig wig!”
- Write the word the children say on the pig nose.
- Choose a child to attach the nose to the pig wig using tape or a stapler.
- Then have the child put the wig on and say, “I’m a pig in a wig!”
- Repeat the activity until all the children have had a chance to write a word on the nose, attach it to their pig wig, and say, “I’m a pig in a wig!”
- Invite the children to do a jig in their pig wig.
- Have the children stand in a circle and take turns thinking of and saying words that rhyme with pig. Nonsense words are acceptable (e.g., kig, lig, zig).
- Have the children come up with an action to go along with the rhyming word they each choose.
- Repeat the words and actions as you go around the circle, adding on one word and action each time.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with pig.
- One sheet of pink paper
- Two sheets of different colored paper
- Pig wig instructions
Activity: Pig in a Wig
- Complete only the first two steps of the pig wig instructions to make a pig wig.
- With your child, think of words that rhyme with pig (e.g., big, dig, fig, jig) and write each one on the pig nose.
- Have your child put on the pig wig and do a jig.
- While your child is dancing, have them sing, “I’m a pig in a wig and I’m doing a jig, a big pig jig, a big pig jig! I’m a pig in a wig and I’m doing a jig!”
- With your child, think of more words that rhyme with pig. Accept nonsense words that rhyme with pig (e.g., hig, lig, mig).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Make an Ig Wig