Recognize words that rhyme with spy (e.g., "Do I and spy rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with spy.").
- Picture cards
- Pocket chart
The children will play I Spy as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with spy, such as I, sky, tie, and fly.
- Place the small picture cards in a container.
- Lay out the large picture cards or objects in the middle of the circle.
- Explain that when you pull out a small picture card from the container, you will say, “Do you spy a ___?”
- The children will look for the corresponding item, and when they see it, they will reply, “I spy a ___!”
- Repeat until you have spied all of the items.
Hide and spy
- Invite one child to choose one large picture card or object from the middle of the circle and hide it while the rest of the children close their eyes.
- After the item is hidden, invite the child that hid it to ask, “Do you spy a ___?” Have the children look for the corresponding item, and when they see it, reply, “I spy a ___!”
- Play the game until all the children have had a turn to hide an item.
- Tape all of the small picture cards to the board.
- Have the children chant together, “I spy with my little eye a ___.” as you point to each picture card.
- Fill in the blank with the name of the picture.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with spy.
Activity: I Spy
- Walk around in your house or outside with your child, and look for things that rhyme with the word spy (e.g., tie, Yy, sky, fly, fry, pie).
- If you have trouble finding objects that rhyme with the word spy, use things that are easy to see, such as eye and thigh.
- When you see an object that rhymes with the word spy, say, “I spy with my little eye a ___.” (Fill in the blank with the name of the object.)
- After finding several things that rhyme with the word spy, ask your child what things you spied together, and make a list of the things your child tells you.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.