Like to Bike and Hike
Recognize words that rhyme with bike (e.g., "Do hike and bike rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with bike.").
- Picture cards
- A spike or nail
- I Like to Ride My Bike and Hike target text
The children will pretend to bike and hike as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with bike, such as like, trike, hike, strike, and spike.
Pick a bike or trike you like
- Have the children choose a bike or trike they would like to pretend to ride.
- Ask each child to point to the bike or trike they like.
- Model rhyming words by commenting on the bike or trike they like: “I like the little trike.” “I like that bike."
Ride a bike to the mountains to take a hike
- Tell the children that they are going on a hike in the mountains, but they need to ride their pretend bike or trike to get there.
- Have the children put on pretend bike helmets, and tell them to be careful to not strike anything (explain that strike means to hit something).
- Tell the children not to ride over a spike (or nail), because the bike tire will go flat (show the children the spike).
- Tell the children they will ride their bike by pedaling (have them lay on their backs with their feet in the air and "pedal" their feet).
- While pedaling, have the children say, “I like to bike”—say this phrase faster or slower as their feet pedal faster and slower.
- Tell the children to watch out for the spike and don’t strike or run into another bike!
- Tell the children they made it to the mountain, and now they can take a hike.
Go on a hike
- Put the pictures of bikes and trikes in a visible spot in the room.
- Ask the children, “Do you like to hike?” Say, “I like to hike.”
- Lead the children in taking a hike around the room and pretend to climb up the mountain.
- While on the hike, look “down below” to see the bikes and trikes.
- Comment on the bikes and trikes they see. “I see my bike on our hike.” “I see my trike on our hike.”
- Ask the children to say all of the words they heard that rhyme with bike.
Recognize rhyming words in a target text
- Display the I Like to Ride My Bike and Hike target text large enough for the children to easily see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence.
- Ask the children which words in the text rhyme with bike.
Practice rhyming words
- Remind the children of the words they played with (bike, hike, like, trike, hike, spike, strike).
- Tell them to think of other words that rhyme with bike (pike, tike, mike).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with bike.
- If a child doesn't respond in a few seconds, give some support:
- "How about hike? Does hike rhyme with bike?" (Nod your head yes to let them child know that they rhyme.)
- "Do spike and bike rhyme?" (Nod your head yes.)
SEEL Target Texts
I Like to Ride my Bike and Hike
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Like to Bike and Hike