Recognize words that rhyme with slim (e.g., "Do slim and him rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with slim.").
The children will pretend to exercise as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with slim, such as trim, swim, Jim, and Tim.
- As a class, make a list on the board of real and nonsense names that rhyme with slim (e.g., Jim, Tim, Bim, Fim, Zim).
- Invite the children to find space to stand.
- Choose one child to come up, choose a name from the list on the board, and say, “Hi, I’m ___ (e.g., Jim, Tim, Bim, Fim). Let’s be slim and trim.”
- While you beat a rhythm on the drum, have all of the children dance in their personal spaces and say the Slim and Trim chant.
- When you have finished the chant, have the children freeze.
- Have the children stay frozen while you choose another child to come up, choose a name, and repeat the process.
- Play until each child has had a turn.
- Have each child use one of the words that rhymes with slim to fill in the sentence, “I am slim and trim like ___” in front of the class.
- Have the class repeat each child’s sentence by saying, “We are slim and trim like ___.”
- Continue until each child has had a turn.
SEEL Target Texts
Slim and Trim chant
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with slim.
- No materials needed.
Activity: Slim and Trim
- With your child, make up real and nonsense names that rhyme with slim for each person that is playing (e.g., Tim, Jim, Bim, Zim, Fim).
- Have your child teach you the Slim and Trim chant.
Slim and trim,
Slim and trim,
Slim and trim to look like ___! (-im name)
- Choose one person to be the leader, and have the leader choose a name rhyming with slim to use.
- Dance as you say the chant together, filling in the leader’s name at the end.
- When the chant is finished, have everyone freeze, and have the leader do a pose for everyone to copy.
- Switch roles and continue chanting, dancing, and freezing as many times as desired.
- When you are done dancing, say together, “We can be slim and trim like ___!”
- Point to each person who participated, and say their name rhyming with slim each time you say the sentence.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Slim and Trim