a paper ship trip
Recognize words that rhyme with ship (e.g., "Do ship and dip rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with ship.”).
- Paper ships (see the pattern below)
- Bowl with water
- A Paper Ship Rips target text*
- Pretend Ship Trip target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will let paper ships zip along and tip and flip and dip in water and that they will think of words that rhyme with ship, such as flip, drip, tip, and rip.
Let paper ships tip, dip, and rip
- Fold paper into ships using the pattern for a paper hat (paper hat pattern)
- Turn the top of the hat down and staple or tape it to be the bottom of the ship.
- Let the children make the ships zip, tip, flip and dip down in a small amount of water
- Have the children show how the ships drip and rip
Take a trip on an imaginary ship
- Designate a spot in the room to be an imaginary ship
- Have the children take a trip on the pretend ship by engaging in the following actions:
- Skip to the ship
- Grip on
- Trip getting on the ship
- Zip along with the ship as the ship zips fast
- Tip as the ship tips
- Whip around as the wind whips the ship
- Be the wind and rip the sail (an old cloth)
- Flip as the ship flips
- Dip down
- Drip (sprinkle water) as the ship drips
- Teach the A Paper Ship Rips song (see below) and have the children perform the actions.
- Comment on the -ip words that rhyme (e.g., ship and dip rhyme)
Read The Rhyme Text Pretend Ship Trip
- Read the Pretend Ship Trip text to the children and have the children do corresponding actions as the text is read.
- Read the text again and ask the children if certain -ip words (e.g., tip, drip) rhyme with ship.
SEEL Target Texts
A Paper Ship Rips
The ship zips along in the water.
Zip, zip, zip.
The wind whips up and tips the ship.
The ship tips.
The ship flips.
The ship dips down in the water.
And the ship drips.
The ship rips!
Rip, rip, rip!
Pretend Ship Trip
Skip, skip, skip to the ship.
Don’t trip and don’t slip getting on the ship.
We are on the ship.
Zip, zip, zip. The ship zips fast.
Tip, tip, tip. The ship tips.
Flip, flip, flip. The ship flips back and forth.
Dip, dip, dip. The ship dips down.
Drip, drip, drip. The ship drips.
We drip too!
What a trip on a ship!
A Paper Ship Trip