a rip strip pizza
Recognize words that rhyme with rip (e.g., "Do flip and rip rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with rip.").
- Red squares of paper, labeled “sauce”—1 for each child
- Green, yellow, and orange construction paper
- Brown, white, tan, or yellow paper circles to be pizza dough—1 for each child
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will rip strips of paper to make a pizza and hear and say words that rhyme with rip, such as strip, flip, snip, and clip.
A Rip Strip Pizza
- Give each child a paper pizza dough, a paper sauce packet, and green, yellow, and orange paper.
- Have the children say the sentences with words that rhyme with rip as they do the actions to make their pizza:
- “Flip, flip, flip the dough!” - flip the pizza dough
- “Clip the tip! Snip the tip! Clip and snip the tip!” - clip and snip the tip of the sauce packet
- “Tip the sauce. Drip, drip, drip the sauce.” - tip and drip the sauce
- “Rip, rip, rip a strip.” - rip strips of green pepper (green paper)
- “Rip a strip. Rip a strip.” - rip strips of cheese (yellow and orange paper)
- Tell the children to glue the drips of sauce and strips of peppers and cheese to the dough to complete the pizza.
- When the pizzas are done, have the children say, “Flip the pizza! Flip, flip, flip!” as they toss their pizzas into the air to flip them.
- Help the children recall the words they heard in the activity that rhyme with rip.
Produce words that rhyme with rip
- Remind the children of the words they heard that rhyme with rip (strip, flip, snip, clip).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with rip (support as needed).
March and say the sounds in words
- Have the children march and say the beginning and ending sound of the word rip:
- Segment sounds: say /r/ (march right), say /ip/ (march left).
- Blend sounds: jump with both feet and say rip to blend the sounds into a word.
- Repeat with other words that rhyme with rip (e.g. strip, snip, dip, clip, drip, flip, tip, hip, whip, etc.).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with rip.
- Brown paper circle
- Paper square
- Orange, yellow, and green paper
- Rip Strip Pizza Instructions (see below)
Activity: A Rip Strip Pizza
- Read the instructions for making Rip Strip Pizza (see below) to your child.
- Pick two words from each step (varying between rhyming and non-rhyming pairs), and ask your child if the words rhyme.
- Do each step of the recipe after you read it, and emphasize the action words that rhyme with rip as you do them (e.g.; “Drip, drip, drip the sauce. Rip, rip, rip the strip.”).
- Have your child glue the pizza ingredients to the paper circle as he or she puts them on.
- Help your child recall the words he or she heard during the activity that rhyme with rip.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
A Rip Strip Pizza