- Ship graphic
The children will pretend to go on a trip as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with trip, such as skip, zip, flip, and tip.
Go on a trip
- Take the children on an imaginary trip where they copy your actions while standing in place or marching in a line around the room.
- Say, “Ready to go on a trip? We will do things that rhyme with trip.”
|We will skip! Skip trip. Skip trip. Skip trip.||Have the students skip in a line or in place.|
|Now let's dip! Dip trip. Skip then dip.||Bend at the knees.|
|Do you ever trip and fall? Don't trip!||Pretend to trip and fall.|
|It's time to flip! Flip trip. Flip trip.||Hold out your arms like you are an airplane, and spin like you are flipping upside down.|
|Now we're on a ship! Take a ship trip, ship trip.||Pretend to paddle around in a boat.|
|Our ship is fast. It can zip! Ship zip!||Pretend the ship is sailing fast, and zip around quickly.|
|Oh no, the ship will tip! Tip ship!||
Lean to one side like the ship is tipping.
- Say, “We went on a trip! We got to skip, flip, dip, zip, and tip!”
- Give each child a picture of a ship and ask the children if their ships can do these things:
- Have the children do each action with their ships, emphasizing that each action rhymes with ship.
- Let each child have a turn giving an instruction that rhymes with ship.
- Ask the children what words they heard in the activity that rhyme with trip and to think of other words that rhyme with trip (e.g., rip, sip, lip, nip).
- Have the children write the words on the board (support as needed).
- Review the list again, and have the children make a small rip in their ships every time a word that rhymes with trip is said.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhymes with trip.
- Strips of paper
- Bowl or container
Activity: Ip Trip
- Together with your child, think of action words that rhyme with trip (e.g., dip, skip, flip, zip, whip, tip).
- Write each word for your child on a strip of paper, fold it, and mix all the folded strips in a bowl.
- Take turns drawing out 2–3 strips of paper at a time, reading the words and doing the actions together after each turn.
- Perform variations of the actions by doing them faster, slower, higher, or lower.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.