paper ship trip
Recognize words that rhyme with ship (e.g., "Do ship and chip rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with ship.").
- Unlaminated large ship graphic
- Laminated small ship graphics
- Bowls or tubs of water
- Word cards
- Towels (optional)
The children will take a trip on a ship as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with ship, such as skip, tip, drip, and flip.
- Read each word card and demonstrate how to make the paper ship do the actions on the card.
- Give each child a laminated paper ship and disperse the bowls or tubs of water to each small group of children.
- Let the children take turns choosing a word card, and read the card out loud for each child.
- Have the class perform the selected action with his or her laminated ship and say each action as it is performed, encouraging the children to say it with you.
- Flip: flip the ship in the tub of water.
- Skip: skip the ship across the top of the water.
- Dip: dip the ship under the water.
- Drip: Lift the ship and let the water drip back into the tub, or drip onto another ship.
- Whip: whip the ship quickly through the water.
- Zip: zip the ship in a Z shape through the water.
- Tip: make the ship tip into the water.
- Rip: when the unlaminated ship gets wet enough, it will rip.
- *You may want to do this activity outside or set towels under the bowls or tubs.
- Have the children call out verbs that rhyme with trip for you to perform with the unlaminated ship.
- As the ship continues to get wet, it will eventually rip.
- When the ship finally rips, have the students shout, “Rip ship!” altogether.
- Ask the children if they can remember the words that rhyme with ship from the activity.
- As the children recall the rhyme words, write each word on the board for the students to see.
- Read the list of words that rhyme with ship, and have the students hold up the ship graphic every time they hear a rhyming word.
- Make sure you say some words that don’t rhyme with ship.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with ship.
- Paper ship graphic
- Word cards
- Bowl of water
Activity: Ship Trip
- Take turns choosing a word card, and read each card to your child before doing the corresponding action with the paper ship and the bowl of water.
- As you and your child perform each action, say what you are doing out loud (e.g., Dip the ship! Let the ship drip!).
- After you and your child have done each action with the ship, read each action word to your child by saying the beginning sound and helping your child say the -ip ending.
- Emphasize with your child that all the words rhyme.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Paper Ship Trip