pretend ship trip
Recognize words that rhyme with ship (e.g., "Do ship and chip rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with ship.").
- Toy or cardboard ship
- A Ship Trip song
- A Pretend Trip story
- Word cards
- Tub of water (optional)
- Towels (optional)
The children will take a trip on a ship as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with trip, such as flip, dip, tip, and ship.
- Have the children skip to gather around the ship.
- Pretend to take a trip on the ship using the rhyming action words.
- Give the children directions on how to do the various actions with the ship.
- First, have the children do the action with a pretend ship (e.g., say, “How would I make the ship dip?”).
- Then, let one child do the action with the actual ship.
- Let each child have a turn doing an action with the ship.
- Teach the children the A Ship Trip song, and perform actions that correspond with the song (optional).
- Have the children stand in a big circle.
- Read the Pretend Ship Trip story to the children and have them do corresponding actions as the text is read.
- Read through the text again and encourage the children to repeat the rhyming word after you whenever there are three words in a row written in the text (e.g., Skip, skip, skip to the ship).
- Read the text one more time, pausing before each word that rhymes with ship to let the children fill in the blank (support with visual cues as needed).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with ship.
- Word cards
Activity: Pretend Ship Trip
- Talk to your child about how fun it would be to take a trip on a ship.
- Go to the couch or the table and pretend you are on a ship.
- Take turns choosing an action word card, reading it for your child, and then doing that action like you are on a ship.
- As you perform each action, say what you are doing out loud (e.g., We slip on the ship!).
- Sing the A Ship Trip song together with your child and do the corresponding actions as you sing.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Pretend Ship Trip