- Ship picture
- Small bowls
- Word cards
- Towels (optional)
The children will pretend to take a trip on a ship as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with ship, such as trip, dip, flip, and drip.
- Read each word card, and demonstrate the action with a paper ship.
- Give each child a laminated paper ship and bowl of water.
- Have each child choose an action card and read it out loud.
- Invite the children to perform the selected action with his or her ship.
- Say each action as it is performed (e.g., Flip the ship!), encouraging the children to say it with you.
- Ask the children if they can remember words that rhyme with ship from the activity.
- Say two rhyming words, and ask the children to contribute a third rhyming word (e.g., say, “Trip and dip rhyme. What is another word that rhymes with dip?”).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with ship.
- Paper or toy ship
- Word cards
- A bowl of water
Activity: Ship Trip
- Take turns choosing a word card, reading it, and performing the action with the paper or toy ship.
- As you perform each action, say what you are doing out loud (e.g., Flip the ship!).
- Help your child make up a story about a ship that went on a trip, using words that rhyme with ship (e.g., A ship took a trip. The waves made it dip.).
- Have your child tell the story again (support as needed) as you make the ship do the actions (e.g., dip, slip, flip), then switch roles.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.