Swirl and Whirl Art
Recognize words that rhyme with swirl (e.g., "Do swirl and whirl rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with swirl.").
- Shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Shallow pan or container
The children will swirl and whirl colors as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with twirl, such as curl, whirl, and swirl.
- Fill the bottom of a shallow pan or container with shaving cream and drop food coloring into the cream. Do not mix it in!
- Have the children drag the ends of their straws through the cream and food coloring to swirl, twirl, whirl, and curl the colors.
- As the children swirl the colors, encourage them to use phrases such as “Swirl and twirl!” “Whirl the color!” “Look at the curl!” “The curl is in a swirl!” “I like to twirl and whirl!”
- When the children have swirled the colors, have each child press their piece of paper down on the cream to get the colored swirl on the paper.
- Put the paper somewhere to dry.
Ask each child, one at a time, to say a word that rhymes with the word twirl (You may need to give a few examples. Nonsense words such as durl can be used.).
After each child says a rhyming word, have everyone say, “Twirl ___ (child’s rhyming word)!” and twirl their arms in a circular motion.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with twirl.
- Curled gift ribbon (optional)
Activity: Swirl and Whirl Art
- Give your child a piece of paper and crayons so they can draw swirls, whirls, and twirls with different colors.
- As your child draws, encourage him or her to say phrases that use words that rhyme with twirl, such as these: “The swirl is by the whirl.” “Twirl and swirl.” “Look at the curl.”
- Encourage your child to use these phrases by saying some of them yourself.
- If desired, when your child is done drawing, attach a curled gift ribbon to his or her drawing.
- With your child, come up with words that rhyme with twirl (including nonsense words), and write them on the back of your child’s paper.
- Read the list again to you child, and invite him or her to twirl around as you read out the rhyming words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Swirl and Whirl Art