Swirl and Whirl Art
- Shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Shallow pan or container
The children will swirl and whirl colors as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with twirl, such as curl, whirl, and swirl.
- Fill the bottom of a shallow pan or container with shaving cream and drop food coloring into the cream. Do not mix it in!
- Have the children drag the ends of their straws through the cream and food coloring to swirl, twirl, whirl, and curl the colors.
- As the children swirl the colors, encourage them to use phrases such as “Swirl and twirl!” “Whirl the color!” “Look at the curl!” “The curl is in a swirl!” “I like to twirl and whirl!”
- When the children have swirled the colors, have each child press their piece of paper down on the cream to get the colored swirl on the paper.
- Put the paper somewhere to dry.
Ask each child, one at a time, to say a word that rhymes with the word twirl (You may need to give a few examples. Nonsense words such as durl can be used.).
After each child says a rhyming word, have everyone say, “Twirl ___ (child’s rhyming word)!” and twirl their arms in a circular motion.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with twirl.
- Curled gift ribbon (optional)
Activity: Swirl and Whirl Art
- Give your child a piece of paper and crayons so they can draw swirls, whirls, and twirls with different colors.
- As your child draws, encourage him or her to say phrases that use words that rhyme with twirl, such as these: “The swirl is by the whirl.” “Twirl and swirl.” “Look at the curl.”
- Encourage your child to use these phrases by saying some of them yourself.
- If desired, when your child is done drawing, attach a curled gift ribbon to his or her drawing.
- With your child, come up with words that rhyme with twirl (including nonsense words), and write them on the back of your child’s paper.
- Read the list again to you child, and invite him or her to twirl around as you read out the rhyming words.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Swirl and Whirl Art