- Block of Styrofoam
- Golf tees
- Toy hammer
- Safety goggles or protective glasses
- Kit the Builder target text
The children will pretend to hammer nails as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with kit, such as it, bit, and hit.
- As you read the Kit the Builder target text to the children, emphasize words that rhyme with kit.
- Let each child have a turn pretending to be “Kit the Builder” and hit “nails” (golf tees) into the Styrofoam block.
- As each child takes a turn, have him or her wear protective glasses and say, “Hit like Kit. Hit like Kit” each time they hit a golf tee into the block.
- Read the Kit the Builder target text to the children again.
- Pause as you come to each word that rhymes with kit to give the children a chance to fill in the word.
- Discuss the activity with the children (e.g., “What did you do to the nails?” “Who was the builder from the story that hit nails?”).
- Help the children write a story about hitting nails into the block (e.g., “We hit the nails. We hit the nails like Kit. We made them all fit. We can sit and hit nails.”).
SEEL Target Texts
Kit the Builder
Kit is a builder.
Kit builds tall buildings.
Kit builds the buildings bit by bit.
Every day, Kit builds a little bit more.
Kit works so hard, he has no time to sit.
Kit has too many nails to hit!
Don’t quit, Kit! You can do it!
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with hit.
- Pretend hammer (rock)
- Pretend nails (twigs or sticks)
Activity: Hit It
- Read the Kit the Builder story to your child, emphasizing words that rhyme with hit.
- Sit with your child outside by the dirt, and help him or her use a rock as a hammer to hit sticks (as pretend nails) into the dirt.
- Chant together, “Hit it, hit it, hit it!” as your child hits the pretend nails into the dirt.
- Continue until all the pretend nails are hit into the dirt.
- Optional: extend the activity by searching the house for additional objects that look like pretend nails and hitting them into the soil with the hammer (e.g., golf tees, toothpicks).
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.