fix the six
Recognize words that rhyme with fix (e.g., "Do fix and mix rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with fix.").
- Picture cards
- Twix candy bars (optional)
The children will “fix the six” as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with six, such as fix, mix, sticks, and bricks.
- Have the children pick a picture card that rhymes with fix and rip the pictures into four small pieces.
- Help the children fix the rips by putting the pieces together like a puzzle and gluing them to a piece of paper.
- As they fix, have them chant, “Fix, fix, fix my ___ix!”
- Once their picture is fixed, invite them to do tricks with their picture (e.g., make it flip, make it dance).
- Give the children a Twix for fixing their picture (optional).
- Write the phrase, “Fix, fix, fix! Fix my ___ix!” on the board.
- Point to each picture card, and have the children fill in the blank by saying the corresponding item (e.g., point to the chicks and have the children say, “Fix, fix, fix! Fix my chicks!”).
SEEL Target Texts
Mix, Mix, Mix Song
Making the ___ (–ix rhyming word) mix!
Mix and mix and mix the ___ (–ix rhyming word).
We made an –ix mix!
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with fix.
- Picture cards
- Mixing bowl
- Mix, Mix, Mix song
Activity: -ix Mix
- Identify each of the picture cards with your child.
- Have your child put the picture cards in the mixing bowl one at a time.
- Each time he or she puts a card in the bowl, have your child stir the cards around and sing the Mix, Mix, Mix song with you.
- After your child has put all the rhyming picture cards in the mixing bowl, write an -ix mix recipe together that lists the things you put in the bowl.
- Send this list to school with your child so he or she can share it with a teacher or a friend.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Fix the Six