stop and shop
Recognize words that rhyme with shop (e.g., "Do stop and shop rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with shop.").
- A Stop at This Shop sign
- Items (or picture cards ) that rhyme with shop
- A mop (craft sticks with yarn strands)
- A lollipop
- A toy top
- Bottle tops
- A can of pop
- Popcorn kernels that can hop
- Glop (flour mixed with water) (optional)
- Stop and Shop target text
The children will hop and stop at a shop as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with shop, such as hop, pop, top, mop, and stop.
Get ready to shop
- To make a mop, attach several strands of yarn to one end of a craft stick.
- Have the children help identify the items (or graphics) that rhyme with shop.
- Talk about the items as you set up the shop (i.e., A mop can wipe up slop and glop. Be careful not to drop the pop.).
- Put up the "Stop at This Shop" sign near the shop.
Hop to the shop then stop
- Lead the children in hopping around the room until they get to the shop and you say "Stop!"
- Have the children read the "Stop at This Shop" sign then hop into the shop to look for things that rhyme with shop.
- Hold up items and ask questions like "Is this a top?" and "Does it rhyme with shop?"
- Invite the children to take turns asking a friend if they would like to buy something from the table that rhymes with shop (e.g., a top, a mop, a lollipop).
Listen for target words in a text
- Display the Stop at a Shop target text large enough for children to see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence, and emphasize the words that rhyme with shop.
- Invite the children to repeat words that rhyme with shop with you as you read it again.
- Help the children recall which words they heard in the text that rhyme with shop.
Produce words that rhyme with shop
- Remind the children of the words they heard that rhyme with shop (hop, pop, mop).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with shop (support as needed).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of 2 words (e.g. shop, hop).
- Ask the children to hop if the words rhyme and stand still if they do not rhyme (support as needed).
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., stop, drop; plop, flop; tan, mop; crop, cat; pop, top).
SEEL Target Texts
Stop and Shop
Let’s stop at a shop to get a top.
Let’s stop at a shop to get a mop.
And the shop has a mop.
And the shop has things that hop and go pop.
And the shop has lolli-pops, soda pop, and glop!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1: Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic feature of print.
Stop and Shop