- Pictures of roses* (print on cardstock)
- Picture cards*
- Pick a Rose target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will get to pick a rose and do a pose while they recognize and produce words that rhyme with rose, such as chose, nose, and toes.
Pick a rose
- Let the children each choose and color a picture of a rose (see below).
- Have the children walk around and exclaim to each other, “You chose a rose!”
- Invite each child to smell their rose by putting it to his or her nose.
- Have each child pose with a rose.
- Continue the activity until each child has had a chance to pose with a rose.
- Help the children recall the words that rhyme with rose that they heard in the activity (e.g., nose, chose, pose).
Recognize words that rhyme
- Read the Pick a Rose target text (see below) to the children, emphasizing the words that rhyme with rose.
- Invite the children to tap their noses each time they hear a word that rhymes with rose as you read the text again.
- Lay out the picture cards (see below) and help the children identify the pictures of things that rhyme with rose.
Producing words that rhyme
- Help the children think of words that rhyme with rose (e.g., nose, hose, toes, grows, blows, pose).
- Tap each child with a rose and ask them to share one of the rhyming words (support as needed).
SEEL Target Texts
Pick a Rose
You chose a rose!
Put the rose to your nose.
Smell the rose.
Smell the rose with your nose.
Pose with your rose.
Take a pose with your rose.
Look at your rose.
Look at my rose.
I have a rose.
You have a rose.
I put a rose to my nose.
Put your rose to your nose.
Do a pose with your rose!
Pose with a Rose