Recognize words that rhyme with run (e.g., do fun and run rhyme?) and produce rhyme words (e.g., think of a word that rhymes with run).
- 4 tubs (or other containers)
- Bun and Sun pictures cards- equal number of each, and at least 1 for each child
- Can You Run? chant
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they are going to pick up words that rhyme with fun as they run and practice saying words that rhyme with fun (such as sun, run, and bun).
Practice the skill within an activity
- Teach the children the Can You Run? chant (see below) so they can do it with you during the race.
- Divide the children into 2 teams: the bun team and the sun team.
- Have the children line up with their team behind a starting line, placing a tub for each team nearby.
- At the other end of the racing area, place 2 tubs, one with sun pictures and one with bun pictures.
- Have the child at the front of each team's line run to their team's tub, pick up one of their team's pictures and race back to put it in their tub at the starting line.
- Repeat the process as each child on the team takes a turn.
- After the race, ask the children what words they heard in the activity that rhyme with run (fun, sun, bun).
Apply the skill
- Produce words that rhyme with fun
- Remind the children of the words they played with (fun, one, ton, bun, run)
- Tell them you can think of other words that rhyme with fun (sun, done).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with run
- If a child doesn't respond in a few seconds, give him/her an option:
- "How about one? Does one rhyme with fun?" (Nod your head yes to let the child know that they rhyme)
- "Do one and run rhyme?" (Nod your head yes)
- Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of 2 words (e.g. one, run)
- Ask the children to show you thumbs up if the words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., fun, run; done, one; pun, shirt; sun, stun; done, happy; nun, hun).
- If children do not respond correctly, repeat the 2 words, emphasizing the ending sounds of the words.
SEEL Target Texts
Fun Run Chant
Sun Team: We can run. Run for a sun.
Teacher (to Bun Team): Can you run? Run for a bun.
Bun Team: We can run. Run for a bun.
Sun Team: Run for a sun!
Bun Team: Run for a bun!
Everyone: "It's fun to run for a bun or a sun!"
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.