Recognize words that rhyme with run (e.g., "Do fun and run rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with run").
- 4 tubs (or other containers)
- Picture cards*
- Can You Run? chant*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they are going to have fun as they run and practice saying words that rhyme with fun, such as sun, run, and bun.
- Teach the children the Can You Run? chant (found below) to say during the game.
- Divide the children into two teams: the bun team and the sun team.
- Have the children line up with their team behind a starting line and place a tub for each team nearby.
- At the other end of the racing area place two tubs, one with sun pictures and one with bun pictures (found below).
- Have the child at the front of each line run to their team's tub, pick up a picture and race back to put it in their tub.
- Repeat the process as each child on the team takes a turn.
- When a team brings in all their buns or suns, have everyone clap for the team that won.
- After the race, ask the children to think of a word that rhymes with run (e.g., fun, sun, bun).
Produce words that rhyme with fun
- When the game is done, ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with fun before they "run" to their next activity, supporting as needed.
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., one, run).
- Ask the children to show you a thumbs up if the words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words: fun, run; done, one; pun, shirt; sun, stun; done, happy; nun, hun.
SEEL Target Texts
Fun Run Chant
Sun Team: We can run. Run for a sun.
Teacher (to Bun Team): Can you run? Run for a bun.
Bun Team: We can run. Run for a bun.
Sun Team: Run for a sun!
Bun Team: Run for a bun!
Everyone: It's fun to run for a bun or a sun!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.