Run For the Sun
- Sun picture (taped to the wall)
- Picture cards (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will run to the sun as they hear and say words that rhyme with run.
Practice the skill within an activity
Run to the Sun
- Have the children stand at one end of a large room. Put the sun picture at the opposite end of the room.
- Hold up different pictures of the rhyming words one at a time and have the children identify each picture.
- If the picture rhymes with sun, have the children take 4 steps toward the sun.
- If the picture doesn't rhyme with sun, have them take one step backward.
- If you hold up a sun picture, then have the children shout "Run for the sun!" and run to the sun picture.
- Repeat the activity as many times as desired.
- Review with the children which pictures rhymed with sun.
Apply the skill
- Produce words that rhyme with run
- Remind the children of the words they played with (run, fun, sun, bun).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with run
- If a child doesn't respond in a few seconds, give him/her an option:
- "How about fun? Does fun rhyme with run?" (Nod your head yes to let the child know that they rhyme)
- "Do sun and fun rhyme?" (Nod your head yes)
- Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of 2 words (e.g. fun, sun)
- Ask the children to show you thumbs up if the words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., run, nun; sun, moon; fun, bun; run, play; shun, pun).
- If children do not respond correctly, repeat the 2 words, emphasizing the ending sounds of the words.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Run For the Sun