Crunch and Munch
Recognize (e.g. "Do crunch and lunch rhyme?") and/or produce (e.g. "What rhymes with crunch?") words that rhyme with crunch.
- Real food or food picture cards (refer to them as lunch) - enough for each child to have 1 item/card (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that today as they crunch and munch on their lunch, they will need to listen for words that rhyme with crunch.
Practice the skill within an activity
Crunch and munch
- Have the children stand in a circle.
- Give each child a food item or food picture card (see below).
- Invite the children to do actions that rhyme with crunch with their food items or cards:
- Munch: pretend to munch the lunch
- Crunch: pretend to crunch the lunch
- Hunch: hunch (crouch) over the lunch
- Bunch: bring all the food items together in a bunch
- Ask the children what words they heard that rhyme with crunch: munch, lunch, hunch, bunch, supporting as needed with questions like, "How about munch? Does munch rhyme with crunch?"
Apply the skill
Create a cheer using words that rhyme with crunch.
- Have the children help make up a crunch cheer using the target words. (e.g.; We like to crunch and munch! Crunch and munch the lunch!).
- Chant the cheer several times together while marching around in a circle.
- Produce words that rhyme with crunch (allow made-up words)
- Remind the children of the words they played with (crunch, munch, lunch, hunch).
- Tell them you can think of other words that rhyme with crunch (punch, bunch).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with thumb
- If a child doesn't respond in a few seconds, give him/her an option:
- "How about lunch? Does lunch rhyme with crunch?" (Nod your head yes to let the child know that they rhyme)
- "Do munch and hunch rhyme?" (Nod your head yes)
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of 2 words (e.g. crunch, lunch)
- Ask the children to show you thumbs up if the words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., crunch, hunch; hunch, bunch; munch, food; lunch, table).
- If children do not respond correctly, repeat the 2 words, emphasizing the ending sounds of the words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Crunch and Munch