crunch and munch
Recognize words that rhyme with crunch (e.g., “Do crunch and munch rhyme?”) and produce rhyme words (e.g., “Think of a word that rhymes with crunch.”).
- Real “lunch” food (optional)
- Food picture cards*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that as they crunch and munch on their lunch, they will need to listen for words that rhyme with crunch.
Crunch and munch
- Give each child a food item or food picture card (found below).
- Invite the children to do actions that rhyme with crunch with their food items or cards:
- Munch: pretend to munch the lunch
- Crunch: pretend to crunch the lunch
- Bunch: bring all the food together in a bunch
- Ask the children to think of a word that rhymes with crunch and provide suggestions (e.g., munch, lunch, hunch).
Create a cheer using words that rhyme with crunch
- Have the children help make up a crunch cheer using the target words (e.g., “We like to crunch and munch!” “Crunch and munch the lunch!”).
- Chant the cheer several times together while marching around in a circle.
Produce words that rhyme with crunch
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with crunch.
- If a child doesn't respond in a few seconds, give an option:
- "How about lunch? Does lunch rhyme with crunch?" (Nod your head yes to let the child know that they rhyme).
- "Do munch and hunch rhyme?" (Nod your head yes).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., crunch, lunch).
- Ask the children to show you thumbs up if two words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words (e.g., crunch, hunch; hunch, bunch; munch, food; lunch, table).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Crunch and Munch