- Find a Nut song*
- Nut graphics*
- Paper hut graphics*
- Book: Nuts to You! by Lois Ehlert 1993 (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will hear and say words that rhyme with nut such as shut, rut, hut, and cut.
Make a Nut Hut
- Read the book Nuts to You! emphasizing target words (optional).
- Show the children a completed nut hut.
- Help the children assemble paper huts (see graphics and instructions below).
- Comment on words that rhyme with hut. (e.g., “nut, cut, shut rhyme with hut”)
Find a Nut
- Hide nut graphics (see below) around the room.
- Teach the children the Find a Nut song (see below)
- Let the children cut the paper nuts.
- Have the children put the cut nuts in their paper huts.
- Have them shut the cut nuts in the hut.
- Comment on words that rhyme with nut.
- Ask the children what words rhyme with nut (e.g., hut, cut, shut).
Recognize rhyming words
- Ask the children to show you thumbs up if two words rhyme (e.g., nut, hut) and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme (e.g., hut, goat).
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., shut, hut; shut, horse; cut, nut).
March and make words
- Have the children blend word parts into whole words:
- March right and say the beginning sound
- March left and say the -ut ending
- Put two feet together and say the word.
- c + ut = cut
- h + ut = hut
- b + ut = but
- n + ut = nut
- sh + ut = shut
SEEL Target Texts
Find a Nut
Fill the hut! Fill the hut!
Cut the nut. Cut the nut.
Fill the hut with nuts.
Fill the hut with cut up nuts.
Cut up nuts. Cut up nuts.
Shut the cut nuts in the hut.
Fill the hut with nuts!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.