Crab Crew Crawl
Read, write, and identify words beginning with the /cr/ blend.
- Paper crown graphic
- Paper strips to complete crowns
- /cr/ word cards
Tell the children they will be a crazy crew that crawls as they read and write words that begin with the /cr/ blend, such as crab, crew, crawl, crazy, crown, and crowd.
Crawl like a crab
- Write the words crew, crab and crawl on the board, point out that the letters c and r written together make the /cr/ sound, and invite children to come and underline the cr in the words.
- Divide the children into crews (teams).
- Have the children line up on one side of the classroom and crawl like crabs to the other side of the classroom.
- Give a crown to each child who crosses the finish line, and a /cr/ word card to the first 10 children to cross the finish line.
- Emphasize the target blend /cr/ throughout the activity by using as many /cr/ words and phrases as possible.
Read target words
- Ask each child that won a /cr/ word card to read the word on their card out loud to the class.
- Choose another child to write a /cr/ word on the board for the class to see. (Support as needed.)
- Choose additional children to underline all the /cr/ blends in the words listed on the board.
- When the list is complete, read the /cr/ words listed on the board together as a class.
Write about the activity
- Instruct the children to decorate their crowns with words that begin with /cr/.
- The children may use /cr/ words from the list on the board or any other /cr/ words they think of.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.2.B: Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds (phonemes), including consonant blends.
Crab Crew Crawl