Read, write, and identify words beginning with the /cr/ blend.
- Creepy crawly creatures (graphics/small plastic toys)
- Creepy Crawly Creature Worksheet
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that today they are going to find some creepy crawly creatures around the room as they practice the /cr/ blend.
Play a variation of a hot and cold game
- Choose one child to be “it”, and have him or her wait in the hall.
- Choose another child to hide a small plastic toy or a picture of a creepy crawly creature in a crack or a crevice, and make sure all the children know where it is hidden.
- Invite the first child back into the room to find the picture.
- Have the entire class help the first child find the picture or toy by saying /kr/, /kr/, /kr/ loudly if he or she is close to it or softly if the child is far away from it.
- Optional variation: Have the child finding the picture creep or crawl as they look for the hidden picture or toy.
- Repeat as often as desired.
Read target words
- Write the following text on the board:
- Finding creepy crawly creatures is fun.
- I can creep and crawl.
- Read the text together as a class, emphasizing each /cr/ blend.
- Choose different children to circle each /cr/ blend in the text.
Write about the activity
- Help the children create a word wall of words that begin with the /cr/ blend.
- Give each child a Creepy Crawly Creature Worksheet.
- Instruct the children to write a sentence in each box of the worksheet using at least 1 /cr/ word per sentence.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.2.B: Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds (phonemes), including consonant blends.
Creepy Crawly Creatures