A Band for Your Hand
- Blank strip of paper to make a bland band
- Strips of paper and letter cards for –and bands
- Rows for a grand –and band
- A Band for My Hand target text
- Grand Band target text
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make bands for their hands while they read and write words that end in –and such as band, grand, hand, land, sand, bland, brand, and stand.
Make an -and band
- Take a blank strip of paper and make a band for your hand.
- Call the blank strip a “bland band” (explain that bland means plain).
- Show the children how you can turn your “bland band” into an –and band.
- Write –and on the left and a consonant or blend on the right (e.g., b, gr, h, l, s, bl, br, st).
- Wrap the paper strip around to put the consonant before the –and ending.
- Tape or glue the strip of paper around your hand to form a band.
- Read the –and word formed on the hand band.
- Give the children strips of paper and letter cards and help them make –and bands by taping or gluing a letter card with a consonant or blend on the left.
- Tape or glue the children’s bands around their hands and have them read each word they made on the –and bands.
Make a grand –and band
- Display the page of rows and call it a “grand –and band” (explain that grand means great or big).
- Show the children how the grand –and band can make words just like theirs (wrap the letters around to put each consonant or blend before an –and ending).
- Read the –and word at the top of the grand –and band then unwrap the band and fold the top row under to make the grand band shorter. Read the next –and word then repeat.
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the text A Band for My Hand together as a group.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Ask the children to listen for –and words as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the –and words in the text.
- Repeat with the text Grand Band.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Give each child a paper and pencil and let them write about the activities with the bands and handstands. Have them include these words: band, grand, hand, bland, stand.
- Strips of paper for –and bands (Cut out the strips and letter cards. Tape/glue a letter card on the blank line. Wrap the band around so the letter card is before the –and ending. Tape/glue the strip to form a band around a child’s hand).
SEEL Target Texts
A Band for My Hand
The “and” band for my hand can make “and” words.
It can make the words: band, sand, land, stand, hand, grand.
I can do a handstand while wearing my “and” band.
I can put my “and” band on a stand.
I love to read the “and” words on my hand band!
It is grand!
Where did you get that grand band?
From a stand!
Can you find a grand band for my hand?
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
A Band for Your Hand