- Colored circle stickers
- Masking Tape
- Specks that sparkle (glitter or any sparkly paper or object or sprinkles that go on cupcakes) (optional)
- Spouts (top of a water bottle cut off to be a spout)
- Spray water bottle
- Special Sports List target text
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that today they are going to play some special sports as they practice words beginning with the /sp/ sound.
Divide children into eight groups and have them rotate through the eight special sport centers:
- Spiders that spring up
- Have the children move like jumping spiders that spring up high to catch a bug.
- Spy a spot and spin on it
- Put dots on the floor and let the children use their hands as binoculars to spy the spots.
- Let the children sprint to the spots and spin on the spots.
- Speed speak
- Pick a short rhyme or tongue twister and see which child can say it the fastest.
- Spoons that spill only on spots
- Give each child a spoon with specks of spots or sprinkles or sparkles inside to balance on a finger or nose.
- Let the children see if they can spill the spots or sprinkles only in certain spots.
- Spin on a space
- Use masking tape to make a small circle on the ground and have each child spin in the space.
- Sprint to a special space or spot
- Have the children start at a space and sprint to a certain spot. Comment on their speed: “Sprinters are speedy.”
- Splash and spill water and sponge it up
- Let one child splash water and see how speedily two children can sponge it up.
- Have teams compete to see who is the speediest in sponging up the water.
- Spray water out of a spout and sponge it up
- Spray water in spouts on spots or spaces and see who can be speedy in sponging up the water.
Write target words
- List the special sports on the board, emphasizing the /sp/ sound.
- Have the children write down what their favorite special sport was and why.
SEEL Target Texts
* Be spiders that spring up high
* Spy a spot and spin on it
* Be speedy as you speak
* Spill specks from spoons only on spots
* Spill or spray water and be speedy in
sponging it up
* Sprint to a spot
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.