Spurt, Splash, and Spray
- /Sp/ objects: spouts (cut off the tops of water bottles), spots (paper circles), spools (empty thread spools), spoons, spatulas, sponges
- Plastic drop cloth or large plastic sack cut open to function as a drop cloth
- Water bottles, container of water, and spray bottle
- Sentence strips*
- Spin, Spill, and Spout target text*
- Water Can Spew, Spurt, Spray, and Spill! target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they will spin spools in water and spill water out of spouts as they read and write words that begin with /sp/, such as splash, spoon, spot, spray, splat, and space.
Act out commands using actions and objects that start with /sp/
- Set out water (e.g., container of water, spray bottle, water bottles) and objects that begin with /sp/ (e.g., spots, spouts, sponge, spoon, spatula, spools, spray bottle) on a large sheet of plastic.
- Have the children choose sentence strips (see below) and help them read the commands on the strips.
- Let the children take turns acting out the /sp/ commands using the water and /sp/ objects.
Sprinkle and spray words that start with /sp/
- Set out the word cards (see below) on a large sheet of plastic.
- Help the children read word cards showing words from the activity that start with /sp/.
- Let the children use a spray bottle to spray the word cards with water.
- Allow the children to use the container of water to splish, splash, and sprinkle water on and around the word cards.
- Let the children use a water bottle to spurt and spout water out onto the words.
- Pretend to spill water from the spout on the bottle and have the children use a sponge to sponge up the spilled water.
Read target words in a text
- Engage the children in reading the Spin, Spill, and Spout target text (see below) as a group.
- Ask the children to listen for words that begin with /sp/ as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the words that begin with /sp/.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the Water Can Spew, Spurt, Spray, and Spill! target text (see below).
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Have the children help you create a word wall of /sp/ words related to the activities, such as spin, spill, spot, spool, speck, space, spatula, sponge, spout, and spoon.
- Invite the children to use the word wall to write about what they did with the /sp/ objects and water.
SEEL Target Texts
Spin, Spill, and Spout
Spin spools in water, spout water from a spout onto spools.
Spoon water on spools and into spouts.
Make water specks and spots from the spinning spools and spouting spouts.
Spoon water onto spots and spin spouts to make specks.
Wow! That’s a lot of spinning, spilling, and spouting.
Water Can Spew, Spurt, Spray and Spill!
Sometimes it spills on the floor.
The water fountain spouts out water.
Sometimes it spits water in my face.
A water spout spurts out water.
Sometimes it sprinkles water on the floor.
The water spout spouts out water.
Sometimes it sprays water in my space.
A spray bottle sprays water.
Sometimes it spurts all over the place.
The spray bottle sprinkles water.
Sometimes the water spills in my space.
I’m tired of sponging up all this water!!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Spurt, Splash, and Spray