Read, write, and identify words beginning with the /sw/ blend.
- Sweaters/sweater graphics
- Sweater word cards
- Letter cards
- Flyswatters (optional)
- Sweater Swap target text
Tell the children that they will swap sweaters as they read and write words that begin with /sw/.
- Tell the children to choose a sweater or sweater graphic.
- Let the children swap sweaters with one another.
- Have the children choose a sweater word card and help them read the word on the card.
- Ask the children to swap word cards with one another and have them read the new word once they switch.
- Spread out the sweater word cards face up on a table or floor.
- Name a word from one of the sweater word cards (i.e., swat, swap, swim, switch, swoop, sweet).
- Have the children identify the word by swatting the correct sweater word card using their hand or a fly swatter.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- Let the children make a target word (e.g., swim) from letter cards and then have them make different words by swapping the vowel or the final consonant(s).
- Change the vowel sound: swim → swam; swing → swung; swoop → sweep
- Change the ending sound(s): swap → swat; sweet → sweep; swim → switch
Read target words in a text
- Have the children underline the words with /sw/, in the Sweater Swap target text.
- Read the text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the text simultaneously with you.
- Read the text again fading support.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Help the children create a word wall (or use one previously created) of words spelled with /sw/ (i.e., swap, switch, sweater, swoosh, swoop, sweet, swat).
- Refer the children to the word wall and have them write a sentence or two expressing ideas from a lesson activity or target text (e.g., I can swap my sweater for a new one).
- Allow the children to swap sentences with one another and have them read each other’s sentences.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.2.B: Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds (phonemes), including consonant blends.