tick tock clock
Read and write words ending in the -ck digraph.
- Picture cards*
- Letter cards*
- Tick Tock Goes the Clock target text*
- Tick Tock Chant*
- Pack the Sack chant*
- Socks (optional)
- Blocks (optional)
- Small rock (optional)
- Tick Tock by David K. Williams (Harcourt, Inc., 2001) (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pick up sticks, pack a sack, and read and write words ending in -ck that make the /k/ sound, such as tick, tock, stick, brick, sock, and rock.
Make sticks tick tock like a clock
- Read the book Tick Tock by David K. Williams (optional).
- Say, "Tick tock goes the clock," and write tick tock, tick tock, tick tock on the board.
- Let the children click sticks or make a ticking sound for each tick and tock word written on the board.
Pick up words with -ck
- Have the children read the words on each -ck picture card (see below).
- Spread out the picture cards along with optional socks, sticks, blocks, and rocks.
- Read the Tick Tock chant (see below) with the children.
- Read the chant again, and have the children pick up the items.
- Have the children write the words block, sock, rock, clock, brick, and stick.
- Invite the children to underline the letters -ck that make the /k/ sound.
Pack a sack
- Make a checklist on the board: rock, block, sock, brick, and stick.
- Show the -ck picture cards and any real socks, blocks, sticks, and rocks you may have.
- Read the Pack a Sack chant (see below) with the children.
- Let the children pack the items in the sack and check items off the list.
Write about stacking and packing blocks
- Have the children make a word wall by writing words from dictation (e.g., tick tock, sock, rock, lick, brick, stick, click, block, sack, pack).
- Dump blocks out of a sack.
- Let the children stack the blocks, knock down the stack, pick up the blocks, and pack the blocks back into the sack.
- Have the children write about what they just did.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- Using the letter cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing the vowel or a consonant:
- tick → tock, stick → stack, pack → sack, rock → sock, clock → click, knock → block, brick → lick, lock → lack
SEEL Target Texts
Pack the Sack Chant
Pack a sack with rocks.
Pack a sack with sticks.
Pack a sack with socks.
Check the sack.
Does it have bricks, sticks, socks, and rocks?
Tick Tock Goes the Clock
The clock ticks on.
Tick tock, tick tock.
The clock ticks on.
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick
What a mess!
Blocks and socks.
Sticks and bricks.
Rocks and locks.
Ding! Is it all picked up?
Tick Tock Clock