Read and write words spelled with the digraph th.
- Raccoon graphics (see below)
- Raccoon thief word cards (see below)
- Three Thieves target text (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will find three thieves and they will read and write words spelled with th: thump, thud, thief. Point out that the letters th written together make the /th/ sound.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Three thieves
- Read the text Three Thieves to the children and have them find and circle the letters th throughout the text.
- Read the text again slowly and have the children thump their foot every time they hear a word in the text with the /th/ sound.
- Allow the children to act out the text using the raccoon graphics
- Make a thump sound.
- Make a thud sound.
- Pretend to look outside.
- Pretend to see the three raccoons searching through a trashcan.
- Make more thump and thud sounds.
- Show relief that it was not a real thief.
- Have the children label each raccoon picture thief.
- Find the raccoon thieves
- Hide the raccoon thief word cards (see below) around the room.
- Allow the children to search for the cards.
- Help the children read the word on each word card.
- Point out that all of the words have the letters th.
Apply the skill
- Read target words in texts (see below)
- Read the target text Three Thieves to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the text simultaneously with you.
- Read the target text Three Thieves again fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the words from the text with the letters th.
- Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Help the children create a word wall (or use one previously created) of words spelled with th (i.e., thump, thud, thief, three) then have the children write a sentence about the raccoon thieves (e.g., Three raccoon thieves thump and thud).
SEEL Target Texts
I hear a thud!
I think something is outside.
I think I see a thief!
Wait, the thump is not from a threatening thief.
The thump is from three raccoons in the trash!
Three raccoon thieves make a lot of thumps and thuds.
I am so thankful it was not a real thief!