find the thimble
Read and write words spelled with the digraph th.
- Pieces of thread
- Small pieces of paper
- Small bottle caps to serve as thimbles
- Picture of a thimble*
- Pictures of thick and thin thread*
- Find the Thimble target text*
- Thick and Thin Things target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will see thick and thin things and then read and write words with th, such as thick, thin, thread, and thimble.
Show a thimble and things with th
- Point out that the letters th make the /th/ sound.
- Show a picture of a thimble and explain that it protects a finger or thumb when pushing against a needle.
- Take a small bottle cap and place it over your thumb to be a thimble.
- Let the children take turns using a bottle cap as a thimble.
Thick and thin thread
- Before the activity begins, place some pieces of thread around the room.
- Write thick and thin on the board and circle the th.
- Show a thread as an example, then have the children look for the other threads.
- Show pictures of thick and thin threads (see below) and label them.
- Have the children draw thick and thin threads and label them thick and thin.
Find a thimble
- Read the target text Find the Thimble (see below) and have the children find the th in words.
- Let the children play the game from Find the Thimble:
- Have the children close their eyes.
- Place a thimble and thread in visible places
- Say, “One, two, three! Where can they be?”
- Let the children look for the thimble and thread.
- Play the game with written words:
- Have the children write thick things, thin things, thimble, and thread on pieces of paper.
- Play the game from Find the Thimble using the written words instead of the thimble and thread.
Read target words in texts
- Read Thick and Thin Thread (see below) to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
Write about things
- Introduce a word wall with the words thimble, thread, thin, thick, think, things, and thumb.
- Have the children write phrases from dictation (e.g., “Thick and thin things”).
SEEL Target Texts
Find the Thimble
Time to hide the thimble!
It is a small thing.
I must think where to hide it.
One, two, three!
Time to find the thimble.
Where can it be?
Thick and Thin Thread
Think about thick and thin threads.
Think about thick and thin needles.
Does thick thread go through a thin needle?
Does thin thread go through a thick needle?
Does thick thread go through a thick needle?
Does thin thread go through a thin needle?
You can put thin thread through thin needles.
You can put thick thread through thick needles.
Find the Thimble