Read and write words spelled with the digraph th.
- Word cards
- I Am Thankful target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will think of things that they are thankful for and will read and write words spelled with th, such as think, thing, and thank.
Think of a thing
- Read the word cards (found below) with the children.
- Point out that the letters th make the /th/ sound.
- Give the children clues to guess which word card fits the clue:
- Think of a thing in your mouth that helps you chew: tooth
- Think of a thing you use to take a bath: bathtub
- Think of a thing that is where a king sits: throne
- Think of how you feel when you want a drink: thirsty
- Think of the number that comes after two: three
- Think of the opposite of thick: thin
- Think of a word that means to melt: thaw
- Think of a thing on rose that is sharp: thorn
- Think of things you might use to sew: thread, thimble
- Think of how you feel when you get a present: thankful
- Point to and emphasize the th on each word card.
Read target words in texts
- Read the I Am Thankful target text (found below) to the children and have them underline the words with th.
- Engage the children in reading the text with you while you provide support.
Ask the children to think of something that they are thankful for.
Write about the activity
- Help the children create a word wall with words that have a th (e.g., think, thing, thank, thankful, mother, father, brother, thumb, bath, bathtub, tooth, booth, path, three).
- Have the children write about something that they are thankful for using words from the word wall (e.g., “I am thankful for my thumbs”).
SEEL Target Texts
I am Thankful
I am thankful for the earth.
I am thankful for bathtubs.
I am thankful for thumbs.
I am thankful for teeth.
I am thankful for thinking.
I am thankful for thoughts.
What are you thankful for?
Do you have three teeth to give to the tooth fairy?
Maybe you could take three teeth to the tooth fairy.
Follow the path to the Tooth Booth.
Bring one tooth or three teeth to the tooth fairy at the Tooth Booth.
Go along the path to get to the Tooth Booth.
When you get to the Tooth Booth, give one tooth or three teeth to the tooth fairy.
Give the tooth or the teeth to the tooth fairy at the Tooth Booth.
The tooth fairy will be thankful for teeth!
Thankful for Things