Fill the Balloon Fuller
Read and write words spelled with the double letter combination -ll.
- Balloons (yellow, if possible)
- Role signs (Seller, Filler, and Caller)
- Pretend dollar bills
- Paper wallets
- Balloon pump (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that today they will fill and sell balloons as they read and write words spelled with the double letter combination -ll, such as seller, filler, caller, and fuller.
Practice the skill within an activity
Sell and fill balloons
- Set up a table as the balloon store, and a table for the callers, placing the appropriate signs on the tables.
- Divide the children into three different groups: callers (people who call to ask the seller about buying a balloon), balloon sellers, and balloon fillers.
- As you give each group their sign, point out the double letter combination -ll in each word.
- Give the callers a wallet filled with pretend dollars for buying balloons, and explain to all the children that the words bellow and holler mean to yell.
- Have the caller make a hand gesture as if making a phone call and pretend to call the balloon store to see if it is open.
- When the seller says, “Hello,” have the caller bellow and holler, “Seller and filler, are you selling and filling balloons?”
- The seller and filler holler back, "Yes, we are selling and filling balloons!"
- Have the caller go over to the seller at the balloon store and purchase a balloon.
- The seller collects the pretend dollar bills from the caller and tells the filler to begin filling a balloon.
- Have the balloon filler try to fill a balloon with air while the rest of the children chant, “The balloon is getting full, fuller, fuller.”
- When the balloon is reasonably full, instruct the children to holler, “The balloon is fully filled!”
Apply the skill
Write about the activity using target words (choose one or two)
- With the children's help, make a list of double -ll pattern words and have the children write the words on paper or on their balloon with markers.
- Let the children incorporate -ll words into sentence strips that the filler and seller can hold up, such as "The balloon is fully filled." "It costs a dollar for a fully filled balloon.
SEEL Target Texts
Fuller and Fuller
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.3.C: Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
Fill the Balloon Fuller