Read and write words spelled with the double letter combination -ll as in caller or seller.
- A balloon (if possible)
- Plastic bag to be a pretend balloon (optional)
- Paper balloon
- Pretend dollar bills*
- Paper wallets*
- Signs (Seller, Filler, and Caller)*
- Balloon pump (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will fill and sell balloons and read and write words with the double -ll, such as seller, filler, caller, and fuller.
Call about selling and filling balloons
- Place signs (found below) out for sellers to sell balloons, callers to call the sellers, and fillers to fill balloons.
- Point out the double -ll in the words seller, caller, and filler.
- Give the callers a wallet filled with pretend dollars (found below) for buying balloons.
- Have the callers yell and holler to the seller, “Seller and filler, are you selling and filling balloons?”
- Let the seller and filler holler back, "We are selling and filling balloons!"
Fill and buy balloons
- Have the caller go to the seller, buy a balloon for a dollar, and have the filler fill the balloon.
- Have the children chant, “full, fuller, fuller” as the filler uses hand gestures to indicate that the pretend or real balloon is getting fuller and fuller.
- Have the filler holler, “The balloon is fully filled!”
Read about selling balloons
- Read the text Fuller and Fuller to and with the children.
- Have the children find the words with the -ll in the text.
Write about the activity
- With the children's help, make a list of double -ll words: caller, seller, filler, filling, filled, dollar, wallet, balloon, yellow, holler, yell, bellow.
- Let the children use the -ll words as they write about the filler and seller filling and selling filled balloons.
SEEL Target Texts
Fuller and Fuller
Sellers sell balloons.
The sellers yell and holler to tell that they sell balloons.
The callers come to pay a dollar from their wallets to buy balloons.
The callers put their dollars in the sellers’ wallets.
The sellers’ wallets get fuller and fuller and FULLER.
The callers buy balloons to get filled.
The filler fills balloons.
One balloon gets fuller and fuller and FULLER.
The callers holler for the filler to STOP!
The fully filled balloon suddenly goes POP!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.3.C: Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
Fill the Balloon Fuller