We Sell Shells and Bells
- Real seashells or seashell graphics
- Play money (optional)
- Bells or bell graphics*
- Signs for Bell Shop, Shell Shop, and Things to Smell Shop*
- “I sell ___” signs*
- The Bell and Shell Shop target text*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will sell shells and bells and will read and write words that are spelled with the double letters -ll, such as shell, bell, well, tell, sell, and smell.
Sell shells and bells
- Set up shops where the children can sell bells, shells, or things that smell.
- Show the children the Bell Shop, Shell Shop, and Things that Smell Shop signs, and point out the -ll double letter combination.
- Explain that the children will be the shoppers and sellers of bells, shells, and things that smell.
- Let the sellers hold up their signs and yell, “I sell shells,” or “I sell bells,” or “I sell things that smell.”
- Have the buyers ask questions and make comments:
- You sell bells?
- What swell bells!
- Do you sell shells or things that smell?
- What shells or bells do you sell?
- I will yell, you sell bells.
- Who sells shells and things that smell?
- Do you sell nut shells or seashells?
Write words with double -ll
- With the children, make a list of words with the double -ll:
- well, swell, bell, tell, yell, fill, well, smell
- Have the children read the list of words
Read target words/patterns introduced in the activity
- Display The Bell and Shell Shop target text and read it with the children.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children underline the double letter -ll combinations.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Display a word wall with -ll words:
- well, yell, tell, sell, bell, smell, swell, will, shell
- Invite the children to refer to the word wall as they write about buying or selling bells and shells (e.g., I sell shells. I buy the best bells.)
SEEL Target Texts
The Bell and Shell Store
I'll tell you what to sell.
You can sell shells.
You’ll sell shells and I’ll sell bells.
Let’s tell the people what we sell.
“We sell shells! We sell bells!”
We will yell, “Come get a shell!”
We will yell, “Come get a bell!”
We will sell lots of shells and lots of bells.
We sell the best shells and the best bells!
SEEL At Home
Read and write words spelled with the -ll double letter combination.
- Play money
- Small signs with names of objects spelled with -ll (i.e., wall, hall, ball, shell, bell, doll)
Activity: I Can Sell
- Before the activity, make small signs with the names of objects around your house that are spelled with the double letter combination -ll.
- Give your child the stack of signs to read and find.
- When they find an object named on a sign, have your child hold up the sign and say, "I can sell you a ___"
- Ask your child to tell you about the object, then pay him or her for the object.
- When you have paid for the object, you get to keep the sign, and then move on to the next object.
- After you have bought all the items, have your child copy the words from the signs onto a piece of paper and circle the -ll in the words.
- Ask your child to read to you the items bought and thank him or her for selling so well.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
We Sell Shells and Bells