Book on a Hook
Read and write words that have the -oo vowel combination.
- Binder clips or paper clips
- Hooks (plastic ones for hanging towels or robes, from sock packages, or made from pipe cleaners)
- Word blending cards
- Hook a Book target text
The children will hook a book and read and write words with the oo vowel as in -ook, such as cook, hook, book, look, took, shook, and nook.
Hook a book
- Place out books with binder clips or paper clips attached.
- Have the children hook a book (loop a hook onto the clip).
- Let the children look at the book they hooked.
- Have the children shake the book off the hook and point out that they shook the book they took and shook it off the hook.
- Make comments such as the following:
- "Look at the book that you got on your hook."
- "You took a book! You can look at the book you took."
- "You hooked a cookbook."
- "You shook the book that you took off the hook."
Phonological Awareness: Word Building
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing the vowel or either of the consonants:
- hook → book; look → cook; took → nook
- hook → hood → wood → good
Read target words in texts
- Engage the children in reading the target text Hook a Book.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children make a list of the -ook words that they heard.
Write about the activity using target words and patterns
- Let children write words from dictation: cook, hook, book, look, took, shook, nook.
- Have the children write a word from dictation and then change a letter to make a new word: book, cook, took, look, shook, hook, hoof, hood, wood.
SEEL Target Texts
Hook a Book
Look for a book.
Look for a book on a hook.
Look for a cookbook on a hook.
Look at the cookbook.
Look at the cookbook that you took.
Is it a good book?
We looked at the cookbook.
The cookbook was a good book!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.C: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
Book on a Hook