leo lion loves lunch
Associate the uppercase letter L and lowercase letter l with the /l/ sound as in lion, lick, and lunch.
- Leo Lion sack puppet
- Picture cards
- Large lunch sack
- Leo Lion Loves Lunch text
- Book: Would They Love a Lion? by Kady MacDonald Denton (Kingfisher, 1998) (optional)
- Book: The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) (optional)
The children will help Leo the Lion look for some lunch and practice saying the /l/ sound in words such as laugh, lion, and love.
Feed Leo Lion Lunch
- Place the picture cards around the room.
- Have the children look around the room for a food item.
- When the children find a picture card, have them name the picture (support as needed).
- Tell the children to circle the L at the beginning of the word on each picture card while saying the /l/ sound.
- Have the children put the food item in the large lunch sack and say, for example, “Leo Lion loves lemons for lunch.”
- Once Leo Lion’s lunch sack is filled, have the children take turns feeding Leo Lion food from his large lunch sack.
- As they feed him, have the children point to the L in the word on the card and say, “L makes the /l/ sound.”
Leap for L words
- Have the children think of as many words that start with the /l/ sound as they can.
- Write the words on the board and read them together as a class.
- Read the words to the children and emphasize each /l/ sound at the beginning.
- Have the children leap every time they hear the /l/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Help the children write the uppercase letter L and lowercase letter l on small pieces of paper.
- Have the children pretend that the L and l papers are lunch food that they can feed to Leo Lion.
- Have the children produce the /l/ sound each time they feed the letter L to Leo.
- Help the children make a lunch menu for Leo listing all of the foods he likes to eat for lunch.
- Let the children write the letter L at the beginning of each word on the menu, then allow them to draw pictures next to the foods on the list.
SEEL Target Texts
Leo Lion Loves Lunch
Leo lion loves to lap liver for lunch.
Leo lion loves his lettuce and lasagna.
Leo lion loves to lick lots and lots of lollipops.
Leo lion loves large lemon lollipops.
Leo lion loves little lime lollipops.
Leo lion loves his L lunch.
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter L and lowercase letter l with the /l/ sound as in lion, lick, and liver.
- Picture cards
- Lion graphic
- Small pieces of paper
- Lunch sack with the letter L written on it (optional)
Activity: Leo Lion Loves Lunch
- Hide the picture cards around the room.
- Make a headband for your child by stapling two ends of a strip of paper and attaching the lion graphic.
- Let your child wear the headband and have him or her pretend to be a lion looking around for lunch.
- When your child finds a picture card beginning with a letter L, say with your child, for example, "Leo Lion loves lemons!" and put it in Leo Lion's lunch sack (optional).
- Have your child circle the letter L in the word on each card as they say the /l/ sound.
- Help your child write the uppercase letter L and lowercase letter l on small pieces of paper, then have him or her pretend that the L and l papers are lunch food that he or she will feed to Leo the Lion.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Leo Lion Loves Lunch