Associate the letters sp with the /sp/ sound as in spout, spider, and spool.
- Things to spin (spools, spoons, spouts)
- Spray bottle
- Bowl with a small amount of water
- Plastic bags
- Letter cards
- Spin Spools target text
The children will spin spools as they practice saying the /sp/ sound in words such as spool, splash, and spin.
Spin spools on spots
- Spread out the spots on a table or on the floor.
- Let the children spin the spools, spouts, and spoons, and have them watch to see if they land on a spot.
- Repeat the activity using sp word cards.
- When an object lands on a word card, help the children read the word.
- Have the children underline the letters sp in each word and have them say the /sp/ sound each time they underline the letters.
Splash with a spool
- Have the children drop spools in bowl with small amount of water so spools can splat and splatter.
- Let the children spray, splash, and splatter spools with water.
- Place each letter card in a plastic bag.
- Have the children spray, splash, and splatter sp letter cards and have them say the /sp/ sounds each time they get a splotch of water on a letter card.
Read target words in a text
- Read the Spin Spools target text to the children.
- Have the children find and circle the letters sp throughout the text, saying the /sp/ sounds each time they circle the letters.
- Read the text again and have the children read the /sp/ sounds while you read the rest (support as needed).
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the letters sp on the things to spin (e.g., spools, spouts, spoons) and on the spots.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.