Tubas and Tambourines
Associate the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t with the /t/ sound as in tuba, tap, and tambourine.
- Real instruments or instrument graphics (e.g., tuba, trombone, trumpet, tambourine, triangle)
- "I am a Fine Musician" modified song lyrics
- T Instruments target text
- Writing practice page
- Book: Meet the Orchestra by Ann Hayes (HMH Books for Young Readers, 1995) (optional)
The children will make music using instruments that begin with the letter T as they practice saying the /t/ sound in words such as trumpet, tambourine, and tuba.
Teach a song with tubas
- Teach the children the "I am a Fine Musician" song.
- Show the children the instruments and teach them the instrument names.
- Have the children circle the letter T in the word on each picture card and emphasize that each word starts with the /t/ sound.
- Sing the "I am a Fine Musician" song with the children and pretend to play each instrument.
- If desired, divide children into five groups and assign each group one verse of the song.
- When their verse is sung, have the children pretend to play the instrument mentioned in the verse.
Find the target letter in a text
- Read the T Instruments target text to the children.
- Help the children circle the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t throughout the text while they say the /t/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Give each child a practice writing page and help the children write the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t.
- Have the children produce the /t/ sound each time they write the letter T.
- Have the children draw a picture of an instrument that starts with T (e.g., tuba, trombone, trumpet, tambourine, triangle) in the space below the letters.
SEEL Target Texts
I am a Fine Musician
I am a fine musician,
I practice every day!
And people come from miles around
Just to hear me play.
My trumpet, my trumpet,
I love to play my trumpet!
Ta ra ta ta, Ta ra ta ta, Ta ra ta ta ta ta!!
My tuba, my tuba,
I love to play my tuba!
Toompa, toompa, toompa, toompa, toompa!
My trombone, my trombone,
I love to play my trombone!
Temba, temba, temba, temba, temba!
My triangle, my triangle,
I love to play my triangle!
Ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting, ting!
My tambourine, my tambourine,
I love to play my tambourine!
Tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam, tam!
Shake the tambourine.
Blow the trumpet.
Blow the tuba.
Blow the trombone.
Hit the triangle.
Tambourine, trumpet, tuba,
trombone, and triangle!
T instruments are fun!
SEEL At Home
Associate the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t with the /t/ sound as in tuba, triangle, and time.
- "I am a Fine Musician" song
- Instrument picture cards
Activity: Tubas and Tambourines
- Learn the "I am a Fine Musician" song with your child, then sing it together.
- As you sing about each instrument, hold up the corresponding picture card and pretend to play the instrument.
- Have your child circle the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t in the words of the song.
- Have your child produce the /t/ sound each time he or she circles the letter T.
- Sing the song several times and then perform it for a family member or a friend.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Tubas and Tambourines