Tall Tower of Tops
- Bottle and jar tops of various sizes
- Letter cards*
- Word-building cards*
- Make a Tower of Tops target text*
- Tip Over a Tower of Tops target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will build a tower of tops as they listen for and play with words that start with the /t/ sound, such as tap, top, tip, and two.
Touch, tap, or take a top
- Spread out the bottle or jar tops.
- Call on a child and say, “Take a turn tapping tops.”
- Have the children perform actions with the tops (e.g., touch two tops, tap two tops, take two tops, toss two tops, take ten tops).
Make a tall tower of tops
- Give the children different sizes of bottle or jar tops.
- Have the children stack the tops to make a tall tower of tops.
- Make comments such as, “How tall can you build the tower of tops?” and “Don’t tip your tall tower of tops over.”
- Take a T letter card (see below) and put it on top of the tower.
- Ask, “Will the tower topple if you tap or touch it?”
- Let the children try to tip and topple the tower by tapping or touching the tops.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children form some of the /t/ target words (e.g., top, tap, tip, ten, tell).
- Have the children make new words by changing a consonant or the vowel.
- Change the beginning consonant: tap→ lap, tip→ dip, top→ mop
- Change the vowel: tap→ tip, ton→ tan
- Change the ending consonant: tap→ tan, tad→ tab, tip→ tin, top→ tot
Read Make a Tower of Tops
- Read the Make a Tower of Tops target text (see below) with the children; support as needed.
- Have the children find the words that begin with the letter T.
- Have the children say the /t/ sound when they see the initial T in a word.
- Repeat with Tip Over a Tower of Tops (see below).
Identify the /t/ sounds in words
- Make a list of familiar words that begin with the letter T (e.g., top, tip, tower, topple, ten, tell, tap, tip) and point out that each word starts with the /t/ sound.
- Comment that you hear the /t/ sound in words such as top, tip, tap, tower, and topple.
- Ask the children if a word starts with /t/ (e.g., Does toe start with /t/?); support as needed.
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Tower of Tops
Make a tower of tops.
Put one top on top of another top.
Put a top on that top.
Top the tower with another top.
Make a tall tower.
Top the tower of tops with a tiny top.
Tip Over a Tower of Tops
Can you tip over a tower of tops?
Make a tall tower of tops—a tower of ten tops.
Touch and tap the tower of tops.
Take a top from the tower.
Take two twos from the tower.
The tower of tops will tip and topple over!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Tall Tower of Tops