A Nut in a Hut
Associate the letter U (and lowercase u) with the short /u/ sound (e.g., the /u/ sound in up, nut, sun).
- Hut graphic cut and assembled
- Nut word cards
- Rug graphic
- Picture cards
- Fun with a Bug on a Rug text
Tell the children that they will cut up a nut while they practice saying words with the short /u/ sound such as up, cut, nut, hut, bug, rug, mug, fun, sun, and gum.
Cut up the nut
- Assemble the hut graphic.
- Place the nut word cards inside the hut.
- Have the children take each nut out of the hut to read the word on the card.
- Point out that each word is spelled with the letter U, which makes the /u/ sound.
- Let the children cut up each nut in order to cut out the letter U in the word.
Put a bug on a rug
- Show the children the rug graphic.
- Tell the children they will make words with the /u/ sound on the rug using picture cards and letter cards (i.e., nut, hut, bug, mug, cub, tub, sun, bun).
- Let the children choose a picture card to put at the top of the rug mat.
- Have the children say the sounds in the word then choose letter cards that match the sounds (e.g., /b/ - /u/ - /g/ = bug).
- Have the children put the letter cards in order on the lines to make the word.
- Repeat the activity using the other picture cards.
- Point out that each word has the letter U which makes the /u/ sound.
Identify the target letter and associated sound in a text
- Read the text Fun with a Bug, Nut, and Cub together as a class/group.
- Read the text again fading support.
- Have the children underline the letter U in words with the /u/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Give each child a whiteboard and have them write words from dictation, changing one or two letters each time to make a new word: up → cup → cut → nut → hut → hug → rug → run → bun → sun.
SEEL Target Texts
Fun with a Bug, Nut, and Cub
a bug in a mug
and a mug on a rug
Tug the mug with the bug off the rug!
and a nut in a hut.
Shut the nut inside the hut.
a cub in a tub
and a scrub brush
Rub and scrub the cub in the tub.
Is it fun to play with a bug on a rug?
Is it fun to shut a nut inside a hut?
Is it fun to rub and scrub a cub in a tub?
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
A Nut in a Hut