A Nut in a Hut
- Hut graphic
- Rug graphic
- Nut word cards
- Letter cards
- Picture cards
- Fun with a Bug on a Rug target text
The children will cut up a nut as they practice saying words with the short /u/ sound, such as up, cut, nut, hut, and gum.
Cut up the nut
- Assemble the hut graphic.
- Place the nut word cards inside the hut.
- Have the children take each nut out of the hut to read the word on the card.
- Point out that each word is spelled with the letter U, which makes the /u/ sound.
- Have the children cut up each nut picture card in order to cut out the letter U in the word.
Put a bug on a rug
- Show the children the rug graphic and lay out the picture cards.
- Have the children find the bug picture card and put it on the rug.
- Have the children say the sounds in the word on the picture card and then choose letter cards that match the sounds (e.g., /b/ + /u/ + /g/ = bug).
- After they choose the correct letter cards, have them place the letter cards on the rug under the bug.
- Have the children put the letter cards in order on the lines of the practice sheet to make the word.
- Repeat the activity using the other picture cards.
- Point out that each word has the letter U, which makes the /u/ sound.
Identify the target letter and associated sound in a text
- Read the Fun with a Bug, Nut, and Cub target text together as a class.
- Read the text again, allowing the children to read independently when possible.
- Have the children underline the letter U in words with the /u/ sound.
Write the target letter
- Give each child a whiteboard, and have the children write words as you say them, changing one or two letters each time to make a new word: up → cup → cut → nut → hut → hug → rug → run → bun → sun.
SEEL Target Texts
Fun with a Bug, Nut, and Cub
a bug in a mug
and a mug on a rug
Tug the mug with the bug off the rug!
and a nut in a hut.
Shut the nut inside the hut.
a cub in a tub
and a scrub brush
Rub and scrub the cub in the tub.
Is it fun to play with a bug on a rug?
Is it fun to shut a nut inside a hut?
Is it fun to rub and scrub a cub in a tub?
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
A Nut in a Hut