A Fun Run
- Picture cards*
- Word-building cards*
- Can You Run? target text*
*Items included below.
Introduce target words
- Show the children the target words.
- Read the words with the children.
Run to collect buns and suns
- Read the Can You Run? target text (see below) with the children.
- Divide the children into two teams—the bun team and the sun team.
- Have the children line up with their team behind a starting line and place an empty container by each team.
- Place two more containers at the end of the racing area, one filled with sun picture cards (see below) and one filled with bun picture cards (see below).
- Let the children take turns running to their container, grabbing a picture card, racing back, and placing the picture card in their team’s container.
- Have the other children chant, “Run to the ____ (sun, bun).”
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing a consonant or the vowel.
- Change the beginning consonant: sun→ run; fun→ bun
- Change the vowel: fun→ fin; run→ ran; bun→ bin
- Change the ending consonant: bun→ bud; sun→ sum; run→ rub
Write about the activity using target words and phrases
- Let the children write short sentences using target words.
- It was ____ (fun) to ____ (run).
- There were two teams—the ____ (sun) team and the ____ (bun) team.
- We had to ____ (run) to pick up a ____ (bun) or a ____ (sun).
- We had ____ (fun).
SEEL Target Texts
Can You Run?
Run for a sun.
Can you run?
Run for a bun.
Pick up a sun.
Pick up a bun.
Run, run, run for a sun or a bun.
Drop the sun.
Drop the bun.
Drop the sun or the bun and say,
“It’s fun to run!”
SEEL At Home
Read and write words that end with -un.
- Sun and bun picture cards
- 4 containers to put sun and bun cards in
- Can You Run? target text
Activity: Fun Run
- Find an area big enough for you and your child to run.
- Place two of the containers (one containing all of the suns and one containing all of the buns) at one end of the running area, and the remaining two at the other end. Decide who will collect the buns and who will collect the suns.
- The aim of the game is to race to move all of the buns and all of the suns from one container to the other. Every time you place a bun or a sun in the new container shout, "It's fun to run!" Whoever completes the task first wins the game.
- Help your child read the target text Can You Run?.
- Help your child write sentences on the back of the target text, explaining how to play the game (e.g.; Run to get a bun or a sun. Run back. Drop the sun or bun. It is fun to run.)
- The activity can be repeated several times.
A Fun Run