Loops for Leprechauns
- Leprechaun graphics*
- Paper strips for loops
- Lemon graphic*
- Leaf graphic*
- Log graphic*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make loops for little leaping leprechauns as they listen for words that begin with the /l/ sound, such as loop, link, long, and low.
Link lots of loops for leprechauns
- Ask the children to listen for the /l/ sound in words such as little, loop, link, long, leap, low, and leprechaun.
- Have the children make paper chains by linking loops of paper.
- Make comments as the children make the chains: “link and loop, loop and link, link loops for leprechauns, link long loops, link long loops for little leprechauns.”
- Have the children attach leprechaun graphics to the loops and say, “Lay leprechauns on loops” and “Link leprechauns to loops.”
- Hang the long leaping leprechaun loop chains.
- Let little leprechauns leap with long loops.
Leprechauns leap with /l/ words
- Show the little leprechaun graphic.
- Tell the children that the little leprechaun loves to leap.
- Let the little leprechaun take long or low leaps as he hears such phrases as leaping leprechauns leap low; little leprechauns take long leaps over lemons, logs, leaves, loops, and lots and the letter L -- lots and lots of Ls”
- Let the children leap like leprechauns over lemons, logs, and leaves (see below) while saying, "Little leaping leprechauns leap like lions. Little leaping leprechauns like ___ (e.g., lollipops, lemons, and lemonade).
Leap like leprechauns
- Put a leprechaun graphic on one side of the room and have the children line up along the other side.
- Ask the children to make low or long leaps with linked loops to the leprechaun.
- Ask the children if they hear /l/ in ‘long and low leaping little leprechauns’ or ‘lots of linked loops for leaping leprechauns.’
- Say, you did lots and lots of leaping like little leprechauns. You were leaping low and leaping long -- leaping like leprechauns!”
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /l/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /l/.
- Leprechaun graphic
Activity: Little Leaping Leprechauns
- Show your child the little leprechaun graphic and tell them that they can make the little leprechaun leap.
- Comment on things that the leaping leprechaun likes: lollipops, lions, leaves, lunch, lemons, ladybugs
- Leap like leprechauns while saying, "Little leaping leprechauns like ___ (e.g., /l/ /l/ /l/ lollipops, lunch, lions, lemons, leaves, ladybugs)."
Loops for Leprechauns