Recognize words that rhyme with rag (e.g. "Do rag and bag rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g. "Think of a word that rhymes with rag.").
- Popsicle sticks
- Tags graphic
- Picture cards
- Rag Bag target text
The children will use a rag to make a flag as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with rag, such as bag, tag, sag, lag, and drag.
Make a flag with a rag
- Explain that rags are used for cleaning, and show the children how you can snag (pick up), drag, and wag a rag to clean things.
- Tell the children they will make a flag out of a rag and help them attach a rag or paper scrap to a popsicle stick.
- Let the children march around the room as they wag their flag.
- Point out to the children the words that rhyme with rag from the activity (e.g., bag, flag, snag, wag, drag).
Put a tag on a bag, rag, and flag
- Tell the children that you will use another object that rhymes with rag to label the bag, rag, and flag.
- Put a tag on the bag and tell the children that the tag says "Rag Bag."
- Put a tag on a rag and tell the children that the tag says "Rag."
- Put a tag on the flag and tell the children the tag says "Flag."
- Use words that rhyme with rag as you have the children drag the items into the bag to clean up (e.g., Drag the rag to the bag. Snag a tag. Drag the tag to the rag bag.).
Read a rhyming text to the children
- Display the Rag Bag target text large enough for the children to see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence.
- Read the text again and have the children point to each word in left to right sequence.
- Point out words in the text that rhyme with rag as you read it together one more time.
Produce words that rhyme with rag
- Remind the children of the words they used in the activity (rag, bag, tag, flag).
- Tell them you can think of other words that rhyme with rag (wag, nag, sag).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with rag.
- If a child doesn't respond within a few seconds, support as needed.
Recognize words that rhyme using pictures
- Lay out two pictures cards that rhyme with wag (e.g., rag, bag) and one picture that does not (e.g., cat).
- Have the children help you identify the picture card that does not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of pictures:
- tag, rock, wag
- boat, flag, zigzag
- rag, tag, flower
- wag, girl, flag
- zigzag, rag, cheese
SEEL Target Texts
It is my bag with a tag.
The tag on my bag says Rag Bag.
Do you see a rag?
Drag the rag into my bag.
Any rag can go in my bag.
I see a flag in my bag.
A flag is not a rag.
A flag cannot go in my rag bag.
A flag is a thing to wag.
Wag the flag!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1: Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic feature of print.