Recognize words that rhyme with rag (e.g., "Do rag and bag rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with rag").
- Popsicle sticks
- Tags with -ag words*
- Pictures with -ag words and non-rhyming words*
- Rag Bag target text*
- Wag a Flag target text*
- Old cloth (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will drag a rag and wag a flag as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with rag, such as bag, tag, sag, lag, and drag.
Make a Rag (optional)
- Let the children make a rag by ripping an old cloth.
- Have them put their rags into a bag.
Drag and wag a rag
- Explain that rags are used for cleaning.
- Quickly snag a rag from a rag bag and say, “I’ll snag a rag from a bag, a rag bag.”
- Show the children how you can drag and wag a rag to dust.
- Comment on words that rhyme (e.g., rag, bag, snag, wag, and drag rhyme).
Make a flag with a rag
- Tell the children that they will make a flag out of a rag
- Help the children attach a rag to a stick to make a flag.
- Let the children march as they wag their flag.
- Point out the words that rhyme with rag (e.g., bag, flag, snag, wag, drag).
Put a tag on a bag, rag, and flag
- Tell the children that you will put a tag (see below) on a rag bag that says Rag Bag.
- Put a tag on a rag and tell the children that the tag says Rag.
- Put a tag on the flag and tell the children the tag says Flag.
Drag a rag into a rag bag
- Drag rags and tags into and onto a rag bag
- Play with the words that rhyme with rag as the children drag the rags and tags (e.g., “Drag the rag to the bag,” “Drag the tag to the rag bag”).
Read rhyming texts
- Display the Rag Bag target text (see below).
- Read the text to the children, pointing to the words in left-to-right sequence.
- Point out words in the text that rhyme with rag.
- Repeat with the Wag a Flag target text (see below).
Produce words that rhyme with rag
- Remind the children of the words they played with (e.g., rag, bag, tag, flag).
- Help each child think of and share a word that rhymes with rag (support as needed).
Recognize words that rhyme using pictures
- Show and name the cutout pictures (see below).
- Display two pictures that rhyme with wag (e.g., rag, bag) and one picture that does not (e.g., cat).
- Have the children help you identify the picture that does not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of pictures:
- tag, rock, wag
- boat, bag, zigzag
- rag, tag, flower
- wag, girl, flag
- zigzag, rag, cheese
SEEL Target Texts
It is a bag with a tag.
The tag on my bag says Rag Bag.
My bag holds rags.
Use the rag to clean.
Drag and wag the rag and make it go zigzag.
Now drag the rag into my bag.
Any rag can go in my bag.
Wag a Flag
A flag is not a rag.
A flag cannot go in my rag bag.
I drag the flag out of my bag.
I wag the flag.
I put a tag that says flag on my flag.
A flag is not a rag!
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1: Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic feature of print.